Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: editing how-to

  1. #1
    Inactive Member AppleCore24's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 22nd, 2001
    Posts
    61
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    Can anybody point me towards a good editing how-to? I have a baia editor/viewer (the film is already marked where I want it) and a kodak splicer. Can anybody help me with where I should go from here?

    Thanks in advance...

  2. #2
    Inactive Member pcg's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 28th, 2000
    Posts
    204
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The question is a little vague: "where do I go from here? "

    Where do you want to go & what specifically are you asking? The how-to's of splicing & editing are explained in pretty good detail in the books most of us have on our shelves.

    If you don't already own these, pick up:

    "The Book of Movie Photography"

    "The Filmmaker's Handbook"

    "Independent Filmmaking"

    I wouldn't begin to cut an original film w/o knowing where you're heading & what you envision at the end. Don't overcut. Beware of scratching the film; wear cotton gloves. Etc etc.

    There are dozens of recommendations that are covered thoroughly in the above books, as well as others. Do some research & know where you're heading before starting!

    /Pat

  3. #3
    Inactive Member rollemfilm's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 1st, 2000
    Posts
    437
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Grammar of the Edit by Roy Thompson
    published by Focal Press

    This is not a tech manual. It is, the best book I've
    found on what you do as a film editor. Even if you
    are just starting a film project, this is a must read
    for cinematograpers and directors.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member AppleCore24's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 22nd, 2001
    Posts
    61
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pcg:
    The question is a little vague: "where do I go from here? "

    Where do you want to go & what specifically are you asking? The how-to's of splicing & editing are explained in pretty good detail in the books most of us have on our shelves.

    If you don't already own these, pick up:

    "The Book of Movie Photography"

    "The Filmmaker's Handbook"

    "Independent Filmmaking"

    I wouldn't begin to cut an original film w/o knowing where you're heading & what you envision at the end. Don't overcut. Beware of scratching the film; wear cotton gloves. Etc etc.

    There are dozens of recommendations that are covered thoroughly in the above books, as well as others. Do some research & know where you're heading before starting!

    /Pat
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Thanks - I know where I'm going, had the shots all planned out before the shoot. They are all marked, and all I need to do is splice them together. My only problem is I'm not sure the "standard" way of cutting the film. Do I unroll it and cut it? Do I cut it in the editor? What do I cut it with? I have enough splices, I've got leader for beginning and end - I relaly just need help with the "standard technical procedure" of putting things together.

    Thanks again

  5. #5
    Inactive Member pcg's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 28th, 2000
    Posts
    204
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hmmm, I want to be able to help you, presuming you're using the specific equip. you mention. I have the Kodak splicer & abandoned it for a CIRO (guillotine) splicer. The cuts are smaller, more sure & the taping almost ingenious. The Kodak is sloppy in comparison (other Forum regulars may have different experiences).

    All of the books I mentioned, particularly, The Indep. Filmmaker, offer sections on the mechanical process of cutting/editing. It's really not something that can be summarized in a couple paragraphs.

    You owe it to yourself to pick up a couple of the bibles in this business before beginning surgery. The books are cheap on the used market & readily available.

    /Pat

  6. #6
    Inactive Member AppleCore24's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 22nd, 2001
    Posts
    61
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks PCG!

    [This message has been edited by AppleCore24 (edited February 24, 2001).]

  7. #7
    Inactive Member rollemfilm's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 1st, 2000
    Posts
    437
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Grammar of the Edit by Roy Thompson
    published by Focal Press

  8. #8
    Inactive Member #Pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 12th, 2000
    Posts
    266
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    About the process:
    Just put a take-up reel into the viewer, fix a white leader to it, afterwards a few feets of black film and then the title.
    That?s the beginning.
    Then fix to this leader all szenes in the correct order, as you had planned the film. Best you use only adhesive tape instead of really splicing to make a working roll, only for using in the viewer.
    To ease the process, you should number all rolls of the original footage and make a list of all szenes on each roll. This way you can find the szene you need next easyly. Cut this szene out of your original footage, join the rest of the original footage with adhesive tape and mark this szene in your list. Then put the szene into the final film.

    After finishing this first cutted version, control each cut, if it is like you want, perhaps correct it, cutting between other frames, shortening szenes etc. Then control it again. After all is o.k., substitute all adhesive tapes with real splices, best cement splices, clean the film from any dust and project it. Make notes during the screening and make the final cut afterwards.

    After the "end" title, splice a few feet of black film again, then a red lead out.

    Pedro

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •